HISTORIC ONE-ROOM FRANTZ SCHOOLHOUSE
LOCATION: 485 CHURCH ROAD, KUNKLETOWN, PA 18058
MAIL: 391 CHURCH ROAD, KUNKLETOWN, PA 18058
In 1855, there were 7 one-room school houses
in Eldred Township.
The schoolhouses were each a single room where about 25 students from grades 1 to 8 would all learn from one teacher, who earned about $23 a month. Each schoolhouse was named for the family on whose property it stood. A pot belly stove in the center of the room would be used for heat and to heat the children's lunch (brought from home).
There was no electric for lights, so if a storm or heavy clouds rolled in, lessons would be cancelled for lack of light. In the early days, the lessons were taught in German. By 1953, all of these schools were closed.
Today, the old Kleintop school and the Smith Gap School still stand, each renovated as housing. The Correll still stands, but folks tell us that it is in very poor shape. The Barlieb and Christman are gone, and the Gower suddenly collapsed just several years ago. This left us the Frantz School house.
Fortunately, through the years Lamar Borger and his sister Lola Sherman protected the building from the elements and possible vandalism, keeping it from being lost to future generations.